Pierce Schuessler has a decade of senior-level experience in state government. Early in his career, Pierce served as Legislative Affairs Director for former Florida Secretary of State Kurt Browning. Later, he served in the Governor’s Office of Policy and Budget developing and drafting the Governor’s Budget Recommendations for various state agencies. From 2010-2012, he served as the Budget and Legislative Affairs Director for Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner. Pierce then went on to serve as Director of Legislative Affairs for the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
In 2013, Pierce led DEP’s efforts to pass omnibus legislation providing $880 million for the Governor long-term Everglades restoration plan. Pierce also served as Chief of Staff to State Senator Tom Lee. Pierce earned a Bachelor of Science in Political Science from Florida State University.
- What’s your favorite family tradition?
Growing up, my grandmother would have some libations on Christmas Eve and play A Love Song (From a Different Point of View) by Jimmy Buffett on the piano. In 2015, I met Jimmy Buffett in a closed door Capitol meeting and told him of the tradition, and he loved it!
- If you joined the circus, what would your circus act be?
The guy that gets blown out of the cannon.
- Coke, Pepsi or other?
I’m all jacked up on Mountain Dew!
- What was the worst job you ever had?
Warehouse delivery driver for the family business.
- Where is your favorite place you have traveled?
Guanacaste Costa Rica – Pura Vida!
- What three words would your friends use to describe you?
“Pierce being Pierce”
- If you could only eat one item for every meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Chick-Fil-a Chicken Sandwich
- What’s your favorite sport to watch and which team do you root for?
Any sport played by the Florida State University Seminoles! Go Noles!
- What’s your favorite TV show—the one you’re always watching on repeat?
Recently, I have been watching Live-PD since they are filming in Tallahassee.
- What keeps you going during the hectic legislative session?
Cafecito! And from time to time…a mental break on the 22nd floor of the Capitol to clear the mind for a few minutes.